Cyber Essentials is a UK government-backed certification scheme aimed at helping organizations of all sizes to protect themselves against common cyber threats. The scheme provides a set of basic security controls that organizations can implement to reduce the risk of cyber-attacks. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at what Cyber Essentials is, its benefits, and how organizations can become certified.
What is Cyber Essentials?
Cyber Essentials is a certification scheme developed by the UK National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) in collaboration with industry partners. The scheme provides a framework of basic cybersecurity controls that organizations can implement to protect themselves against common cyber threats. Cyber Essentials certification is designed to help organizations of all sizes, from small businesses to large corporations, to improve their cybersecurity posture and demonstrate their commitment to cybersecurity best practices.
Benefits of Cyber Essentials Certification
There are several benefits to Cyber Essentials certification:
- Improved cybersecurity posture: By implementing the basic security controls outlined in the Cyber Essentials scheme, organizations can improve their cybersecurity posture and reduce the risk of cyber-attacks.
- Demonstrates commitment to cybersecurity: Cyber Essentials certification demonstrates an organization’s commitment to implementing cybersecurity best practices and protecting its customers’ data.
- Compliance with regulations: Cyber Essentials certification can help organizations demonstrate compliance with certain regulations, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Competitive advantage: Cyber Essentials certification can provide a competitive advantage by demonstrating to customers and partners that an organization takes cybersecurity seriously.
How to Become Cyber Essentials Certified
To become Cyber Essentials certified, organizations must follow these steps:
- Choose an Accredited Certification Body: Organizations must choose an accredited certification body to assess their cybersecurity measures against the Cyber Essentials requirements.
- Complete the Self-Assessment Questionnaire: Organizations must complete a self-assessment questionnaire, which covers the five basic security controls outlined in the Cyber Essentials scheme.
- Submit the Questionnaire to the Certification Body: Once the self-assessment questionnaire is complete, organizations must submit it to the certification body for review.
- Undergo External Testing: Organizations must undergo external testing to validate their cybersecurity measures.
- Receive Certification: If an organization’s cybersecurity measures meet the Cyber Essentials requirements, they will receive certification.
Cyber Essentials is a valuable certification scheme that provides a basic framework for organizations to protect themselves against common cyber threats. The scheme is suitable for organizations of all sizes and can help to improve their cybersecurity posture, demonstrate their commitment to cybersecurity best practices, and provide a competitive advantage. By following the steps outlined above, organizations can become Cyber Essentials certified and take an important step towards protecting their data and their customers.